Friday, July 4, 2014

Independence Day



I saw a stack of firewood
looking like a Kandinsky

   you know,
   the pretty one

Circles as blithe as
any eyes or mouth

In New Wave shades
of German Expressionism

   passed in a flash
   of country road

And yet the urge to return
gnaws at me.

A vision exists
by its own specifics

   and I can be that child 
   again, tasked with 

A box of Magic Markers 
and rings of trees to color in

Before growing bored
and taking up matches,

   setting off such a
   phantasm of flames

That the whole stack'd crack
and burst like Independence Day

Round little mouths
all going "ahhh"

   which is a sound
   the same
   in every language.


Awe.
The word sings such a song in me.

We should all set
our sights on fire,

given half a chance.

We ought all stand back
together

to watch what we're capable of.





3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Before growing bored and taking up matches. A wealth of meaning in that short phrase. Love it.

Sarah Hina said...

Thank you, Charles. I always appreciate your commenting.

Aniket Thakkar said...

If you ever exhaust your box of magic markers, just say the word, I'll send you a box right away.

If you ever get bored, say a word too, I'll pay someone to throw a glass of ice-water over you.

You know, 4th of July is my parents' marriage anniversary. :)