Monday, July 1, 2013

For Chris



I could have let you
fade away

It would have been
easy to do

I never held your hand,
after all

Never heard your laugh
in my ears

Didn't even know, for starters,
if your eyes were brown or blue

But no.

Something on this screen
made me look up your name

which seems right

because for me
and for us

This
is where you lived.

And now that I know
--now that I've seen what
I should've known before--

that your life could not
be contained by

a world of make-believe,
emoticons and avatars

or by two sons you loved 
so fiercely

Now that I know
where you went

and how you chose
to arrive

Now that I feel
how blue
blue really is

I wish to God I could
rewrite an ending
that had firmly taken
hold of your hand

--

For my friend, Christine Eldin, who was the light and the glue and as fine a person as she was a writer. I'll meet you on The Strand.


22 comments:

Richard Levangie said...

This is so very sad, and so very sweet. I'm sure Chris would have loved it.

PJD said...

I agree with Richard.

Charles Gramlich said...

A teary eyed morning for many of us. Something my wife said yesterday as we were walking the part seems appropriate. "The trees weep flowers."

Anonymous said...

I didn't know her, but I remember her name from years ago when I first blogged.

And your words have me in tears.

I am sorry for your loss, and for pain, so large and consuming.

xo

Joni said...

What a shock. It's a beautiful tribute. Thank you for making this loss known among our community. Feeling tenuous this morning.

Sarah Hina said...

Richard, she was such a champion of everyone's. I wish someone had been her champion, too.

Peter, hugs, my friend.

Charles, that's perfect for Chris.

Jennifer, thank you. You would have loved her, I know. Such an open, giving heart.

Joni, me too.

I have to say, it's really good to see you here, and to see how loved she was.

strugglingwriter said...

Beautiful.

:(

the walking man said...

Some move on at a speed that seems to fast for the living left behind to question. My hope is that she went quietly in calmness my mourn is for those she went to fast for.

Sarah Hina said...

Paul, she was beautiful. Hugs to you.

Mark, perfectly said. Thank you.

Precie said...

A lovely tribute that captures so much of what I think we all feel.

Thank you.
-P

JaneyV said...

That is beautiful Sara. You have really captured what we all feel.

Sarah Hina said...

Precie and Janey: thank you. I really appreciate that.

Stephen Parrish said...

Gorjus. It would have made her cry.

Sarah Laurenson said...

I agree with Stephen (and everyone else who praised your words)

Sarah Hina said...

Steve, smanks. This one came out of tears.

Sarah, thank you for that.

Aniket Thakkar said...

I don't think my path crossed with hers. But reading this... reading the comments... it makes me wish that I'd known her.

Hugs, friend.

Sarah Hina said...

Thanks, you.

SzélsőFa said...

she, what she meant for a loose-knit community will be missed.
a moving poem, it makes the reader wants to know our Chris more.

Christa said...

This is gorgeous!

娛樂城送體驗金 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
做愛 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
視訊聊天室 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.