Monday, November 19, 2007

The Kiss, Musée Rodin



“How do you feel being ogled all day?”

“I confess to kind of liking it.”

“Exhibitionist.”

“You’re the one with a hand on my thigh.”

“It is a lovely thigh.”

“Thank you. It would be nothing without your hand.”

Tourists shuffle by, fondling the couple with their eyes. Hands make contact, and squeeze, before floating apart.

“It doesn’t bother you?”

“The people or my impudent thigh?”

“Damn you! You know of what I speak!”

“Oh, unmerciful God, this torment of anticipation! To be embalmed! Pinned like a moth by this blade of desire! To suffer this inch of inferno between our lips and not touch the flame! To bend toward the illusion of a kiss, but not break the wave of your breath on my—”

“Oh. Well. It could be worse.”

How?

“You could be that poor sod over there.”

“Who? The Thinker?”

They laugh.

“Well, that. But no, my sweet. I speak of the voyeurs.”

“Who?”

“The floating people.”

“Ah, them.”

“You see what I mean?”

“I do, my love. You are so sensible.”

“It is so hard with your lovely hand on my thigh.”

A museum guard makes an announcement. The floating people float further away, leaving stillness behind them. The marble listens.

“Where did they go, my angel?”

“You are always in the moment, darling. It’s what I love.”

“What? Did I forget something?”

“Closing time.”

“Clo—”

The inch is breached.

The flame is touched.

---

(Next Paris vignette here)

18 comments:

Pallav said...

too good! too good! too good!

This should be made illegal!

I love the way the conversation progresses.

Cheers! Keep Writing :)

N

Jaye Wells said...

Love the humor in this one. And the subject--I have a soft spot for anthropomorphic art.

Chris Eldin said...

Brilliant!
Oh, this is really, really nice!!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.
I'm doing a lot of catching up today, and wanted to apologize for taking so long to make it over here.

Would you like some link love, honey? ;-)

S. Kearney said...

Superb!! I laughed and scared the cat reading this! Brilliant.

Sarah Hina said...

Thank you all so much! Your comments have really buoyed me.

I enjoyed writing this one in particular. Rodin was so brilliant to capture the moment before the kiss, but I can't help but feel badly for the poor lovers.

Church Lady: gimme some lovin'. If you'd please. ;) And thanks for stopping by!

Sarah Hina said...

One more thing: I'm calling this series "4 days (and 3 nights) in Paris." So one more day and night to go, before I bid adieu to the City of Lights.

And return to gloomy Ohio.

:)

Chris Eldin said...

Oh NOOOOOO!! Please make it at least a week! I just got here!!

Beth said...

I really loved this. The humor and the subject. Well done. You're talented and sweet. Great combination!

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

That was excellent! I'm so glad I stopped by! I'll have to come more often, can I link you?

Sarah Hina said...

CL: time moves slower in Paris. It will seem like a week. ;)

Thank you, Beth, for stopping by! And for the compliments. I loved your piece for Jason's contest and look forward to visiting your blog more often.

Link away, Ello! I'll be sure to stop by your blog, too. And thanks for the kind words. They're very appreciated.

Aine said...

Very clever! I loved this! Particularly the "floating people."

Now, if I can just talk Jason into a trip to Paris....

Sarah Hina said...

Thank you, Aine (and nice to meet you!). It was fun to write.

As for Paris, just keep reminding Jason of Pere Lachaise...and that one day life will not revolve around the kids (must keep reminding myself of this, too). ;)

Anonymous said...

ah! so now i chance upon the goddess of modern-fiction here? :D
AWESOME...

cheers,

Sarah Hina said...

Goddess? I'd settle for being one of those chubby cherubs floating above her...

But thanks, Phoenixx. You made me feel (briefly) immortal.

:)

Anonymous said...

Aine beat me to the "floating people." Great term!

The playfulness was really superb.

Sarah Hina said...

Thanks, Jason. It's fun to shed reality every now and then. :)

Anonymous said...

This was delightful, I could feel the joy you found in the writing of it.

jaz said...

Very clever! And perfect after the heaviness of the last one. You really have come at "Paris" from all angles!